Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/7500
Title: Prevalence of human papillomavirus genotypes among women with cervical cancer in Ghana
Authors: Awua, A. K
Sackey, S. T
Osei, Y. D
Asmah, R. H
Wiredu, E. K
Issue Date: 26-Jan-2016
Citation: Infectious Agents and Cancer. 2016 Jan 26;11(1):4
Abstract: Abstract Background Human Papillomavirus (HPV) infections have been shown to be a necessary risk factor for the development of cervical cancer. However, HPV genotype distribution varies geographically, both in type and relative prevalence. In order to ensure a successful introduction of available vaccines, there is the need to identify pre-vaccination HPV genotype prevalence in Ghana and the extent of single and multiple-infections. Methods Paraffin-embedded cervical tissues of 256 confirmed cervical cancer cases diagnosed at the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital during the period January 2004 to December 2006 were selected after hematoxylin and eosin staining and confirmation. Following a heat-proteinase K-based tissue lysis, HPV was detected and typed by a nested-multiplex PCR assay using an E6/E7 consensus primer and type-specific primers. Results Of the 256 cases, 230 (89.8 %, 95 % CI 85.7–93.4 %) were positive for HPV DNA. HPV18 (47.4 %), HPV59 (42.2 %), HPV45 (37.4 %) and HPV16 (9.0 %) were the four common HPV genotypes detected. A total of 110 (47.8 %) of the 230 HPV DNA positive tissues, were infected by a single HPV genotype while the other 120 (52.2 %) were infected by multiple HPV genotypes. A significant association was determined between each of the following HPV genotypes and multiple-infection; HPV18 (OR = 6.97; 95 % CI, 3.89–12.50), HPV59 (OR = 9.56; 95 % CI, 5.57–20.02) and HPV45 (OR = 1.94; 95 % CI, 1.12–3.35). Conclusion The prevalence of the following high risk HPV genotypes (HPV18, HPV59, HPV45) were relatively high among the cases of cervical cancers reported at this hospital in Ghana during the study period. Additionally, there was a high frequency of HPV multiple-infections among these cases.
URI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s13027-016-0050-4
http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/7500
Appears in Collections:Biomed Articles

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
13027_2016_Article_50.pdf641.84 kBAdobe PDFView/Open


Items in UGSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.