Percutaneous pericardial biopsy: Technique, efficacy, safety, and value in the management of pericardial effusion in children and adolescents

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.author Uthaman, B.
dc.contributor.author Endrys, J.
dc.contributor.author Abushaban, L.
dc.contributor.author Khan, S.
dc.contributor.author Anim, J.T.
dc.date.accessioned 2013-06-25T21:33:53Z
dc.date.accessioned 2017-10-19T12:36:33Z
dc.date.available 2013-06-25T21:33:53Z
dc.date.available 2017-10-19T12:36:33Z
dc.date.issued 1997-11
dc.identifier.citation Uthaman, B., Endrys, J., Abushaban, L., Khan, S., & Anim, J. T. (1997). Percutaneous pericardial biopsy: Technique, efficacy, safety, and value in the management of pericardial effusion in children and adolescents. Pediatric Cardiology, 18(6), 414-418. Link to full text: http://hinari-gw.who.int/whalecomlink.springer.com/whalecom0/article/10.1007%2Fs002469900218 en_US
dc.identifier.issn 01720643
dc.identifier.uri http://197.255.68.203/handle/123456789/4149
dc.description.abstract This study describes our technique of nonsurgical percutaneous pericardial biopsy (PPB) its efficacy and safety, and its diagnostic and therapeutic usefulness in the management of pericardial effusion (PE) in children and adolescents. In an 8-year period, 19 selected patients, aged 2 to 20 years, had PPB for evaluation and treatment of PE. Using this procedure we procured multiple biopsy specimens from various areas of the thickened parietal pericardium, and also procured pericardial fluid for investigation. The biopsy material helped establish a specific etiologic diagnosis in 63% and helped II exclude tuberculosis and malignancy in the rest (37%). The histopathologic diagnoses were tuberculous pericarditis (37%) uremic pericarditis (16%) radiation pericarditis (5%), connective tissue disease (5%), and idiopathic pericarditis (37%). In tuberculous pericarditis, the biopsy specimen provided an immediate histopathologic diagnosis and a higher culture positivity (71%) than pericardial fluid (29%). In addition the procedure was therapeutically effective in relieving tamponade and in treating effusion. Our experience indicates that the PPB procedure has both diagnostic and therapeutic value and it can be performed easily, safely, and without complications even in small children. en_US
dc.language.iso en en_US
dc.publisher Pediatric Cardiology en_US
dc.subject Nonsurgical pericardial biopsy en_US
dc.subject Percutaneous pericardial biopsy en_US
dc.subject Pericardial biopsy en_US
dc.subject Pericardial effusion en_US
dc.subject Pericarditis en_US
dc.subject Tuberculous pericarditis en_US
dc.title Percutaneous pericardial biopsy: Technique, efficacy, safety, and value in the management of pericardial effusion in children and adolescents en_US
dc.type Article en_US


Files in this item

Files Size Format View

There are no files associated with this item.

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Search UGSpace


Browse

My Account