Prevalence of Antibodies to Human Tlymphotropic Virus Type I Among Blood Donors at the 37th Military Hospital, Accra, Ghana.

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.advisor Adjei, A.A.,
dc.contributor.advisor Wiredu, E.K.
dc.contributor.advisor Tettey, Y.
dc.contributor.advisor Gyasi, R. K.
dc.contributor.advisor Wadhwani, J. M.
dc.contributor.author Narter-Olaga, E.G.
dc.contributor.other University of Ghana, College of Health Sciences School of Biomedical and Allied Health Sciences Department of Pathology
dc.date.accessioned 2017-04-04T11:16:14Z
dc.date.accessioned 2017-10-13T18:02:08Z
dc.date.available 2017-04-04T11:16:14Z
dc.date.available 2017-10-13T18:02:08Z
dc.date.issued 2004-06
dc.identifier.uri http://197.255.68.203/handle/123456789/21921
dc.description Thesis (Mphil)-University of Ghana, 2004
dc.description.abstract Several infectious diseases have been found to be associated with transfusion o f whole blood or blood components. Reports from studies conducted in many African countries indicate a high incidence of blood-borne pathogens such as human T-lymphotropic virus type-I (HTLV-I) among healthy blood donors. Experimental data indicate that a r. ajor route for transmission o f the HTLV-I is through blood transfusion. The prevalence o f HTLV-I antibodies among blood donors in Ghana is not well documented. Population surveys cannot be conducted for financial reasons and therefore sentinel studies are the only means for providing information on the transmissions of infections such as HTLV-I, as well as monitoring the changes over time. The study was therefore undertaken to determine the prevalence o f HTLV-I antibodies among blood donors, between the months of January to April 2004 at the 37th Military Hospital Blood Transfusion Service, Accra, Ghana. A combination o f particle agglutination test and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) was used to assess the prevalence and distribution of antibodies to HTLV-I. A structured questionnaire was also administered to the blood donors after an informed oral and written consent was taken. This involved questions on personal information, knowledge about HTLV-I transfusion, sexual behaviour, lifestyle and histories o f transfusion-transmitted diseases. Beginning from January to April 2004, blood samples were collected from blood donors, serum separated and analysed for the presence of antibodies to HTLV-I. A total o f 1225 samples (1158 males and 67 females) were analysed. Their ages ranged from 20-69 years; with majority (75.5%; 925/1225) of the blood donors studied between the 30-^9 years age group. Ofth e 1225 samples tested, 1196 were negative and 29 were positive lor HTLV-I antibodies giving a prevalence rate of 2.4%. Two females were positive out o f 67 (2.9%) and 27 males were positive out o f 1158 (2.3%) male donors. Majority of the donors were married (914; 74.6%) and the rest (311; 25.4%) were not married. Of the married donors, 21 were positive for HTLV-I antibodies, giving a prevalence rate o f 2.3% among married donor. Most of <he positive male donors were married with one wife (19; 65.5%), and one positive case had two wives (3.4%). Seroprevalence increased with marital status, suggesting marital status as the primary mode of transmission rather than number o f wives. There was no association of tattoo marks with HTLV-I infection (X2 = 1.72; or =2.07; 95% Cl =0.16- 1.46). Knowledge about HTLV-I infection among blood donors was found to be very poor. Only 10 (0.82%) said they had heard o f HTLV-I infection whilst 1215 (99.18%) had never heard about it. The results reported herein, suggest that HTLV-I is prevalent among healthy blood donors at the 37th Military Hospital Blood Transfusion Centre (MHBTC); and that there is the need for screening blood honors for circulating antibodies to HTLV-I infection. However, the economic burden/ benefit must also be looked at before including HTLV-I in the screening protocol. Key words: blood donors, HTLV-I, 37th Military Hospital. en_US
dc.description.sponsorship University of Ghana en_US
dc.format.extent 96p: ill
dc.language.iso en en_US
dc.publisher University of Ghana en_US
dc.subject Prevalence en_US
dc.subject Antibodies en_US
dc.subject Human Tlymphotropic Virus en_US
dc.subject 37th Military Hospital en_US
dc.title Prevalence of Antibodies to Human Tlymphotropic Virus Type I Among Blood Donors at the 37th Military Hospital, Accra, Ghana. en_US
dc.type Thesis en_US
dc.rights.holder University of Ghana


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Search UGSpace


Browse

My Account